Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ride & Handling Improvement

Well, after years, parts and component will worn out. Same to my Gen-2. The absorbers are leaking. Tyres selection are not based on performance and requirement, more of reducing cost of purchase. Hence, the second hand imported tyres are used. Some are more than 5 years old but still with a reasonable groove. However, I still won't dare to use retread tyres. Please be considerate.

In earlier post, I found out about the engine oil leaking. But after the normal oil change and service, the problem disappears. Probably when they workshop perform the oil change then, they use a wrong grade of oil. I never use mineral for my car before and this time, they filled with Pika Mineral. Which might cause the problems. After that, back to Syntium 800, semi-synthetic. The problem gone. That is on December 2009.

Due to different work commitment and sudden notice on our new house, the Gen-2 have been neglected. Untill I realize last 2 weeks, that the car are already overdue for oil change. I've done almost 10k without changing oil!

It is due to the fact when I decided to replace the absorber due to several complaint from the passengers. To treat Gen-2 with some pampering, I decided to give him an aircond servicing. EON are doing that for me.

Total cost :
Front Absorber : RM 190 per piece
Rear Absorber : RM 105 per piece
Manpower : RM 80

Aircond Servicing : RM 310 incl the manpower.
Alignment : RM25

That cost me ~ RM 1000 for pampering him and hope he is happy.

However, after alignment, the steering are still shaky when slowing down. The technician told me, probably something wrong on the tyres. I intended to change tyres at the same day but due to the availability of the tyres subsidy from my company, I've reserved it first.

After 1 week, during the weekend we have a trip to KL and back to JB. The ride are much comfortable with better cooling effect and air circulation but still worried about the oil condition as it have been prolonged out of the normal range.

With the assistance of the tyres voucher and oil, I've decided to do the final piece of resurrection of my Gen-2. Change all 4 tyres to Michelin Primacy LC 195/55 R15 and use Mobil 1 5w-50 Fully Synthetic engine oil.

Inclusive of other repair and minor replacements of parts, all that cost another RM 1,600. Thanks to the vouchers and the workshop owner are our MD, some discount here and there save me ~500. Pheww..

Now, my Gen-2 are brand new again. Equipped with the best tyres and engine oil for a family car. I'm fully satisfied. Hahah.

No comments: